February 14, 2012

Nine residents of a north Austin apartment complex required hospital attention from carbon monoxide poisoning while in their homes Sunday. According to reports from KVUE News, the gas leak caused carbon monoxide levels in the homes to reach up to 600 parts per billion. A normal home should not exceed 35 parts per billion.

The gas leak was discovered after a young boy was found unconscious in one of the units. Paramedics were immediately called to the scene where they treated residents for symptoms ranging from nausea to headaches. They were treated at St. David’s Medical Center for serious but non-life threatening injuries. All were eventually released from the hospital with their lives, but with hefty medical bills to show for it.

Austin Fire Department Battalion Chief Palmer Buck says the tenants in the apartments were missing face plates on their heating units. The air wasn’t ventilating through the pipes, so carbon monoxide was leaking into their units. Meanwhile, the Texas Gas Company found other leaks coming from an appliance in one of the units and said the gas had spread to the two adjacent units.

The Austin Personal Injury Lawyers with Daniel Stark Injury Lawyers suggest that homeowners should purchase a carbon monoxide detector and have it installed immediately if your home uses gas appliances. Also, it is important to have a licensed plumber inspect the gas lines in your home once a year to ensure there are no leaks.

by Daniel Stark Injury Lawyers |