March 19, 2013
Complications from a Texas Dog Bite have left a Leander, Texas, woman permanently disabled.
The Austin American-Statesman discussed how the 48-year-old victim had suffered a minor bite wound to her hand and ankle on Christmas Day. She thought nothing of the incident until she became violently ill the following day.
She was taken to a local hospital, where doctors were able to determine the woman had contracted a deadly blood infection. Dr. Kristin Mondy, who treated the victim, explained the bacteria responsible for the illness, Capnocytophaga canimorsus, is found in the saliva of around one-third of all healthy dogs.
The infection resulted in the woman suffering from kidney failure and a host of other ailments that eventually led to her legs and nine fingers needing to be amputated.
Mondy stated the condition is extremely rare, with only 56 cases of the infection being recorded over a 32-year period. To put this into perspective, dogs bite more than one million people per year.
Despite the slim chances of contracting the deadly infection, experts encourage anyone who sustains a dog bite to have the injury examined by a medical professional. Also, watch the bite for redness, swelling, or pain, for several days after the incident, as these may be signs of an infection.
The Austin Personal Injury Attorneys with Daniel Stark Injury Lawyers are available to answer any other questions you may have regarding your legal rights if you have been the victim of a dog bite injury.