January 10, 2012

A north Austin neighborhood was rocked early Monday morning by the fatal explosion of a home caused by a gas leak. According to KVUE News, the owner of the house, who was killed in the explosion, had complained to neighbors for several weeks about a gas odor in the home.

The explosion happened at around 8:30 AM Monday at the residence located on Payne Avenue. Neighbors say that they heard two explosions before the home was engulfed in flames. The home next door caught fire as well from the whipping flames next door, requiring paramedics to take the neighboring homeowner to the hospital to be treated for critical respiratory injuries.

Once the fire burned out, firefighters were able to discover the body of a man on the front porch and later confirmed it to be that of the home owner.

Investigators determined the fire was started by a gas leak and work has begun to find and fix the leak by this morning. In the meantime, 15 homes have been evacuated in order to prevent any similar accidents. Texas Gas Service, who operates the leaking lines, have taken responsibility for the explosion and are putting up evacuated residents in a nearby hotel until the matter can be resolved.

The Texas wrongful death attorneys with Daniel Stark Injury Lawyers say that being able to prove fault in a wrongful death case is vital. If you have lost a loved one in an accident that was not their fault and feel you have proof as well, contact us today to discuss your case further.

by Daniel Stark Injury Lawyers |